Monday, September 24, 2007

Rugby Diversion

Today was to be a trip into London. I really had no major plans. Just wander around the city and get lost. Maybe find a pub or two. OK, no maybe about that. Matter of fact, I stopped into one before hitting the train station. Figure I'd have a quick lunch and a pint. And that's where the problem arose. You see, I kind of got stuck in the pub for several hours. There was the hand pumped real ale there. There was also a couple rugby games on that I got caught up in. I can't watch a full American football game back home. But, I can watch a game of football (soccer), rugby or hockey without a problem. I was explaining to somebody last week that with soccer, I can watch a full game and be amazed that the game is over so soon. It flies by for me. Maybe because I spent years playing it that I get so engrossed in the game.

Rugby isn't the same for me. I have never played it before. I'd probably get my body broken if I did. Part of watching that game is to try and figure out all of the rules. Yup, I've got an idea of the basics. But, some of the little parts I'm still shaky on. But, it's a fast paced game that I can follow and enjoy. There were two of them on today; Australia vs Fiji and New Zealand vs Scotland.

After the games it was a bit late for me to head into the city. Good thing, too. I found out on the news that much of the city had been closed down to traffic to allow cyclists to invade the place. So, not only did you have the standard fare of tourists running around the place. But, you also had thousands of people on bikes roaming the city.

So, there goes my weekend. I didn't get anything productive done at all.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:10 AM

    That's an awfully inauspicious start to your 'short' stay in merry ol' England, sir. Faked out by the GPS, 'stuck' in a bar, eating pasta AGAIN, not to mention all of the cyclists. Have I mentioned how much I dislike cyclists?! At least you have some sporting events to keep you company, and an internet connection in the room. All in all, it could be worse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:36 PM

    Could be worse, you could be sitting around doing pretty much nothing back at home.

    ReplyDelete