Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Stuck in Snowy Chicago

Seems the adventures never cease. I am typing this up in my hotel in Chicago.

"The Windy City?", you ask.

"Indeed", I reply.

With a puzzled look you continue your questioning, "Why on Earth are you there?"

I'm so glad you asked. It seems somewhere over the Atlantic, as I was sitting uncomfortably, minding my own business, somebody in the back of the plane decided to have some sort of medical emergency. The announcement is made that a doctor of medicine is being sought. Briefly, I think about offering my services. Then I remember that I'm not a doctor of medicine...or anything else really. Seriously. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking for those brief moments of time. I had to mentally slap myself. So, no slapping will be necessary for this when I get back. I'll probably get slapped for things I do, say or insinuate at a later time though. I've made my peace with that.

At any rate, this goes on for a couple of hours. The curtained off area in the back and the occasional paging for a doctor of medicine. Like a doctor just *happened* to appear. Maybe the doctor was sleeping, you say. Yeah, right. When the lights come on in the plane and that announcement is called, it wakes the dead. So, we're about an hour and a half outside of Chicago (our ultimate destination) when the Captain comes on and tells us that due to a medical emergency, we are going to re-route the plane to Montreal. Lovely.

We land in Montreal and taxi our way to a gateway so the EMTs can come and rescue this person. I know that I shouldn't be thinking this way...but, she *walked* off the plane. What the hell was so life threatening that you force us to land in another airport, in another country that still allows you to walk off the plane under your own power. You couldn't wait the extra 45 minutes it would have taken to get to Chicago?

So, with the "guest that wasn't feeling well"...that's how it was announced to us...got off the plane we got to sit around on the tarmac to refuel and fill out paperwork before they let us take off again. Oh, and we got to watch the fantastic safety show again. We got into Chicago with perfect timing; I missed my flight by 15 minutes. Seems that 2 hour window just wasn't enough.

So, here I sit in the Wyndham Hotel awaiting the next flight to Austin...which is tomorrow morning, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment