Thursday, March 01, 2007

I hate laptops

It seems something in my personality, attitude or code has an adverse affect upon laptops. I've so far had two laptops crap out on me and had to replace one hard drive. Now, the laptop that is internal to the network here (the one I can use to test the conversions on) crashes hard when I compile one of my conversion programs. I'm not talking a nice "Something has happened, would you like to notify Microsoft so they can ignore the problem" window...No, no no. I mean a kernel page error, a hard physical memory dump and complete system lockup and reboot. I never have these kind of problems with desktops.

Yup, after the couple of reboots, the system is in a constant crash, reboot cycle. Pulling the drive and using it as a USB device helps nothing. Seems it's eaten my source code. Well, at least I have a backup from earlier today... Only several hours of work lost and not days.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:46 AM

    Man, I never had that kind of problem with laptops when I was travelling. Granted, I didn't do near as much coding as you do, but they got some hard use and abuse all the same. If you're going to be doing this kind of thing semi-regularly, you (or the company) may want to look into getting some kind of "ruggedized" laptop (such as at http://www.ruggednotebooks.com) and pack a few spare drives. Also, and you may think I'm out of my mind, if your IDE will run on Vista, you may want to get a laptop with that--making and re-applying complete system backups only takes a few minutes, and the backups are extremely reliable.

    ReplyDelete