Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Raising the Porsche, Part I

First step break into the car. Yes, you read that correctly. The Porsche Boxster has a mechanical piece to its security system. When the security system is turned on, the latches for both trucks are mechanically disabled. This is great! Until you leave your car long enough to let the battery drain. You can unlock the car, but, there is no power to the security system to enable the truck latches. I need to change out the battery...which, of course, is in the front trunk.

So, I fashioned a couple electrical leads to the fuse panel for the security system. Pumped 12v with a 9v and a couple AA batteries wired in series (gave me 12.58v...close enough). Positive leads to the fuse and negative wired to the door frame. I crossed my fingers, locked and unlocked the doors. Wouldn't you know it, there was a audible click of the latches being enabled. Hurrah!!!

Clever, eh? Well, as much as I would like to take credit for thinking this all through, I can't. Porsche realized the problem quite some time ago and released a Technical Service Bulletin on how to do this. Although the 9v and 2xAA batteries were my idea. I saw no need to go get the car battery to open the trunk, just to turn around and go back for the core charge.

After I got the new battery hooked up, I did a little praying and tried turning the car over. It sputtered and started right up. As I said in an earlier post, it's been a loooong time since it's been driven. That means whatever fuel that was sitting in the car could have gone bad. Turn to gel, varnish, or other fuel system wrecking liquid. I am thrilled that she started up. I would like to get that old fuel out without having to burn it, but, I'm not sure I will be able to. I can't siphon it out. The Porsche has an anti-siphon system in place (of course). I read an idea of redirecting the 'out' line from the fuel pump to a container and then applying power directly to the fuel pump. Great idea! But, the Porsche has it's fuel pump inside the gas tank. I would have to drop the tank for that. Not going to happen. I guess burning the gas is the only way without going to a mechanic and hoping I don't get charged too much for it.

Got the car registration paid for, but, it needs a smog check. I am not going to take her in for a smog check without getting some new gas into her. So, I need to drive her around and take care of that first. But, tires would have to come before that. I ordered the tires from Discount Tires. The tires I want are available ::cheer::. The front tires are on international back order. But, they had a pair in Northern California that are being delivered. The closest pair of back tires (of course they are different sizes) are in Dallas. As you may be aware, most of that area is having a small cold front...Looks like it'll take a week or more to get them out here. Stupid snow.

So, I wait for these tires. Then it's just down to getting her used to driving again. Yeah, it seems that the control system needs to be driven for about an hour to 'relearn' how I drive and adjust itself to me. An oil change, smog check and then we're good to go. Oh, and the new window for the soft-top. But, I will be happy with getting her driving around.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had read this when you posted it. Good narrative, Moe.

    ReplyDelete