Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Silent Blogs

So, I was reading through the various blog entries on my feed this morning, I realized that I had not heard a peep from a couple of my friends' blogs. I began to compose a message to the tune of 'Why aren't you posting any new entries, you lazy bastages!?!?'. Before I could finish the first full sentence, it dawned on me that I have been remiss in doing any postings myself (June was the last post that I actually completed...I have half a dozen posts that were never actually finished). So, in order to get around that little hypocritical problem, I figured I should post an update or two before mounting my high horse.

What's been going on in the life of me? Well, since the last post;

I went to a dance club to listen to a DJ. I enjoyed myself. I had not really expected to. Dance clubs are not my scene (shocker, I know). However, I was standing at the bar watching the people stand on the dance floor playing with their phones, texting, and facebooking and I felt sad for them. All these people showed up to this club and they felt that they needed to spend all that time being somewhere else with a small device. Why couldn't they just be here. Live in the moment? I got that 'physician, heal thyself' moment and realized that I should take a dose of my own medicine. I finished my drink and vowed to have a good night while I was there. Yes, we got out on the dance floor and danced. Quite a bit, I might add. Happiness achieved.

I released a new product for the company. I don't really want to go into work details. But, the new product is on a mobile platform that I don't normally program for (this is actually my first mobile application). Yup, that means that I am not currently programming for my beloved iSeries. Sad, yes. But, I'm thrilled to learn something new. The new platform has a new set of...challenges, shall we say, that I have had to deal with.

I went camping in Ojai. Only a weekend trip. Packed into camp late at night and spent the weekend swimming in the various water holes around the site. Note to self: Self, you are out of shape. You need to exercise more. I lost my sunglasses while sliding down a rock slide into a pool. The water was refreshing. The loss of my shades, not so much.

I developed another product for the company. This time, a mapping product. Another new set of APIs that I was unfamiliar with. More new stuff to learn = more new challenges to face. Challenges make me happy. I don't like to be bored with my programming tasks.

I went backpacking in the Sierras. A small group of us went hiking into King's Canyon. What a great trip. I did mess up my knee and had a tough time of it during most of the hike. Also did not help that I am out of shape. Another note to self: Self, do something about your fitness level; It currently sucks. Due to a small fire going on in King's Canyon, many of the spectacular views were obscured by smoke. That did not detract from the glorious-ness of the place. I do not get to play up in the Sierras very much. But, when I do, I sure do enjoy it. The scenery. The serenity. The solitude. Natural beauty abounds there.

I barricaded myself indoors for most of the holiday season. Not sure why, but, I pretty much cut myself off from all outside communication during my Christmas holidays. My phone was off for most of that time and I didn't check email. Looking back, I'm not even sure what it is that I did during that time. I guess I just needed to recharge.

I failed miserably in my 2010 goals. It would really help if I looked at those goals at sometime during the year instead of checking on them at the end of the year. It makes it hard to accomplish things when you do not actually work on them. Fail!

I watched Barb get recruited to a new company. A position opened up at a friend's company and he thought Barb would be perfect for it. The boss met with Barb and the only logical thing that could have happened, did; He offered her the job. She's sad to be leaving the people that she works with now. She's grown close to them. But, the new job is a huge step up for her career.

Began the Porsche resurrection. Because of Barb's new job, the carpool that we have been using is coming to an end. So, we need to start driving separately again. I have not driven my Porsche in a long time (October, I believe...2009). Yeah, I know it's pretty disgusting. I own a Porsche. I don't drive it. It sits in our parking space and collects dust. I had actually planned on selling it this last year (one of my 2010 goals that I failed in...good thing I failed, in retrospect). The Porsche represents a lot of things to me. For one, it represents a childhood dream (of owning a Porsche). But, also represents a failure. I had made a change from wanting to spend my money on stuff to spending it on experiences. That brought much more joy into my life; Getting my dive certification, going to Mexico with family, going to China with Barb, learning to rock climb, going backpacking again. All of those things required the purchase of stuff, yes. However, it wasn't just the accumulation of those things. Those things allowed me to expand my experiences.

My life's goals had changed. However, there was still that kid in me wanting his dream car. I needed a vehicle. So, I bought the Porsche. Talk about one giant, expensive piece of stuff. The happiness I got from the car waned over time. I came to the realization that I had made a mistake in that purchase. With Barb and I working so close to each other, we just started carpooling. Well, never fear, gentle readers. I have made peace with that mistake. There is no going back, and regret for the past is a waste of spirit. So, the zombie Porsche is being resurrected and being reinstated to full, active duty. Of course, that means a new battery, new tires (ones that wont "help" me spin out this time), a new window for the soft-top, a smog check, and various other minor things. Ack! Resurrection *is* expensive.

Finally I made new goals for 2011. This year, I have them printed out and will post them near my desk at home. This will be a constant reminder to work on these goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment