Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bonfire Cider

Guy Fawkes Night. Bonfire Night. Should really be called Firework Week. There have been fireworks going off all week. In all directions. No matter where you are you can hear them. If you are up on a hill, you can see several shows at once.

John and I decide to have dinner in the pub and watch some more football...or soccer as John continues to call it :). He watches the games but refuses to budge on the naming of it.

Several pints are had between the two of us. John was drinking Stella and I got him to try Beck's Vier. He moved back to Stella after that. I'm fine with that. You try something new, you don't like it, you move back. But, never stop trying new things.

I started with Boddington's, moved onto Castlemane XXXX and then onto Gaymer's Old English Cider. I'll allow you a few moments of snickering and laughter. Now that you're done snickering at me for drinking cider, you need to know something; Although cider is usually considered a woman's drink, it has a higher alcohol content than most beers. So, this specific cider was fairly good. Not to biting, fairly smooth. After four or five (I lost count) I was feeling pretty darned good :).

We sat in the pub and talked about all sorts of things and pretty much missed the entire game. Not that the game was worth much of anything...

Later that night, after we had each gone back to our own rooms, I decided that before I turn in for the night I needed to iron my shirt for tomorrow. But, there's no iron in the room. So, I'll head out to the main desk and ask for an iron. But, first I had to put some pants on. I wander out of the building that my room is in, into the main building, past the pub and into the lobby. I ask the nice lady at the desk for said iron and she says one will be brought to my room shortly. So, off I head back to the room. By the time I get back outside, I realize that my feet are cold. That's when it dawned on me that I forgot to put on shoes. Remember? I had several ciders. I told you I was feeling pretty good ;).

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:57 PM

    No shoes? You did have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:06 PM

    Woman's drink or not, cider is an awesome drink.

    At least you remembered your pants!

    ReplyDelete