Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Coffee Compliments

Coffee...I miss my free coffee in the office. I miss the ability to pour my own large mug of coffee. It costs me 10p for a cup here. And it must be an actual *cup* of coffee. As in a measuring cup. It's must be the equivalent of four swallows. I'd been pretty happy with myself having cut back to one mug of coffee, two maximum, a day. There are occasions that I have more than that in a day. But, I had made an effort to cut back. Over here, I am constantly drinking coffee. I must be up to 8 to 10 a day. *AND* I have to pay for it. What kind of crap is that? Sure, it removing all of this pesky change that I've accumulated. But, I'm finished with the stupid thing so damned quickly...ugh.

So, because it's during the work week and I'm no longer shocked by the change in culture, I must editorialize on something completely different. Compliments. I witnessed a guy here at the office pay a compliment to one of the ladies that works here. He said that she was "looking smart [nice] today", which she was. Now comes the response that no guy wants to hear when they've payed a woman a compliment; "Because I don't look smart any other day?". There is, of course, no right answer to that question. Why? Why can't you women just accept the compliment for what it is? You have probably looked lovely every day. Just because it's not said, doesn't mean it's not noticed. This particular day however, it just needed to be said. Smile, say thank you and accept the compliment. Don't make it harder for us than it already is.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:46 AM

    The defense to women I have for that is that sometimes when some men never ever give compliments about anything and then one day out of the blue they are commenting on "how smart you look". This could warrent a questionable response by the women. So I think it is always a good plan then to compliment women often as we like that and for the most part usually recieved well. Sometimes though we wonder "why is he saying that to me???" or "does he really mean it or is he just trying to be a funny jerk" even if you know you look good.

    Well it's sad to hear that you have to pay for your own coffee, but it makes me wonder then do they have tea for free there then??? haa haa

    -Happy Couple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:11 AM

    The correct thing to say in response is "Why yes, most of the time you look like a train wreck, I just didn't have the heart to tell you before."

    Of course, that may be why I don't have a girlfriend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Comment to you is - Was it you making the compliment? And if not why not?
    We have plenty of coffee for you here when you get here.

    ReplyDelete