Thursday, February 08, 2007

Winter Wonderland

Good news. It wasn't freezing this morning. It was 1 degree. However, there was 2 inches of snow on my car and the snow continues to fall even now. Car lost traction a couple times getting into the parking lot here at work. It's kind of funny the squeaking noises the cars computer system makes when it looses traction. Then you realize that you're sliding in a direction you don't want to go and you start making squeaking noises as well. I have not hit anything...yet. However, if the snow continues, my car will be buried by this evening. It's a nice fluffy powder. I had actually counted on it snowing. But, I wasn't expecting as much snow as is here.

With the snow here, I'm not sure what I want to do this weekend. I really have no desire to drive long distances in it. I'm a Californian...I don't know how to drive. Then you add snow to the mix? I'll probably kill whole counties of people. I had thought about heading either to Dover or maybe Stonehenge and Bath. We'll see how the weather turns.

Had a pint of Castlemaine for lun...dinner yesterday. Strange that most of the people over here seem to drink American style beers. Did I say strange? I should have said that it's sad. One of the most popular is Fosters. I know, it's an Australian beer. But, it's still more of an American style; light and watery. Last night I finished up the unknown beers in the pub; John Smiths, Abbott Ale and Adams Explorer. Being the last of the unknowns, Explorer, I was going to hoist that one for John. But, then I had a taste and decided against it. Didn't especially like it. So, I changed John's to a Ruddles Best. A fine hand pumped ale.

I had plenty of time to finish up the various brews as there was a football game on. England v Spain. Spain won 1-0. Met a couple of guys standing around the bar during the game and we got to talking. One of them knew I was American by how I ordered my steak sandwich. I didn't understand what the waitress was asking when, in response to my order, she said "Brown or White"? I wasn't sure exactly what she meant by that. Was it a sauce choice? Was it something they put on the sandwiches? Mayo or Onion or Bacon or something? Hell, Coffee with cream is called Coffee white. Of course, she was asking about bread type. At any rate, the four of us chatted for quite a bit of time and then I had to head for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment