Monday, February 05, 2007

London Calling

Today is the day. I will venture into London and see as many sights I can cram in. I stopped by the small restaurant next to my hotel for a quick breakfast before heading into town. I'm not a fan of bacon. Everyone seems to love bacon and I'm not sure why. True, that when you get a proper piece cooked well, it can taste quite yummy. But, most of the time I find it way too fatty for my tastes. I only bring this up now because of the glorious bacon I had for my opening meal today. The bacon was twice the size of the American version in both width and thickness. Also, it was actual meat. Not a ribboning of meat and fat. It was very nice.

I jump into the car and tool down the road in an attempt to locate the train station in Laindon (pronounced Lang-den...not sure where the 'g' sound comes from). I pass through several roundabouts and a couple stop lights to get there. I love the few stop lights they have. We all know that stop lights go from Green, to Yellow and then to Red. But, here in the UK, it doesn't just jump back to Green. It goes from Red it goes to Yellow and then to Green. Not that it really matters to us Californians. It seems that many of the drivers in that state drive through regardless of the color.

My first stop in London was the Tower of London. Small fact; it's not a tower. It's more of a castle. There are 20 towers with two sets of walls. The place was pretty damned large. Went on a guided tour of the place and then wandered around. Saw the crown jewels. I'd show you all the pictures, but, photography is not allowed in that section of the place. I thought about sneaking a shot, but thought better of it when I remembered it's a vault with cameras, alarms and armed security guards. Pictures wouldn't do these things justice anyway. Some of the pieces were wonderful. I found many of them to be gaudy. Dripping with jewels.

Got to see many pieces of weaponry and armor (yes, spelled without the 'u' in it, thank you). Walked through the fusiliers museum (a British infantry division). Took a wander through many of the towers where people were held prisoner for years. Oh, and I got to see the Tower Ravens. They're friggen' HUGE. These birds are well taken care of. The story goes that if the Ravens were to ever leave the Tower, the British monarchy would fall. Just to be on the safe side, the wardens of the tower keep raven nests around and forbid anyone from molesting them. They are giant sized...

While wandering around London, I hear countless languages being spoken by people. OK, that's an exaggeration. I could probably count them if I wanted to. But, it sounds better saying it that way. At any rate, most of the signs and pamphlets for attractions are listed in many different languages. It occurs to me that we never have to worry about multiple language support from frequent visitors. Only English and Spanish. You can't count the Southerners or the Canadians...they are trying to speak English. True, we have foreign visitors, but, not with the frequency and variety that we'd have if we were this close to so many other countries.

I paid good money to walk through the Tower Bridge Exhibit. I can now say I've done it. I would like my money back, please. It's an elevator ride to the top, a stroll across the walkway and an elevator ride down. Oh, and I got to wander through the engine room area. Sorry, it's just not that big of a deal. True, the bridge itself was a marvel of engineering when it was built. It would be akin to a bridge now a days that just vanished when a ship needed to pass by. Maybe I'm just jaded by our current technology. Maybe it's because I spent 7 pounds on it...It took 20 minutes. I spent more time on the Fish and Chips I purchased for that.

Speaking of Fish and Chips; Had them here in Jolly ole England. They taste just the same as we have back in the States. Actually, I thought Camelot's were slightly better. I was told by several people that they serve the fish over here with the skin still on. I'm here to tell you it's true. I'm also here to tell you it didn't have any effect on the meal.

I wandered down the Thames for a couple hours just poking around and taking pictures. It dawns on me that there's a mathematic formula that I've never taken notice of before. It's very apparent here in London... Pretty Women + Skirts + Boots = Dammit!! It's good to be alive. I also noticed that I felt a bit parched. Lucky for me I stumbled upon a pub. Finally one that was open...I can't believe how many pubs are around this damned place that are closed. Didn't they get the memo that I'd be in town?!?! I strode up to the bar and noticed they are the first place I've seen with Guinness on tap. Hell yeah! I've often been told that it tastes very different here. I order one, giddy with anticipation. Yup, it's Guinness. The same Guinness we have back home. Color me disappointed. I was so disappointed I had another pint to drown my sorrows.

Then my camera decides it's done with the tourist thing. It starts running out of film. Too many damned pictures with flash, I tell you. I have enough room to carry over 500 pictures at the top quality of my camera (near 6000 at the low end). The battery, however, seems to hate me. I guess I'll begin my journey back home. I wander over the Millennium Bridge and into the streets. A couple turns and wanderings later I realize I have no idea exactly where I am. I reach for the map in my back pocket and stop myself. I've got nowhere to be. I just can't take pictures of things. So, I forge ahead. I know that my station is in "that direction". I eventually find streets that look familiar and do a small search pattern and find (read stumble across) my train station.

I brought a lot of colder weather clothing to the UK. Sure, it was a bit nippy out this morning. But, I was too warm during the later part of the day. Sunny and a smattering of clouds. Thought this was supposed to be the cold rainy part of their season?

I had a lamb dinner with a couple pints to wash it down. I'll give some of you a moment to be squeamish about eating the cute little cuddly lamb. Now, I'll tell you that it was glorious. I savored every bite. Oh, you know how bottles of wine come in 750ml bottles in the states. Not out here, they come in 75cl bottles. I know, I know. It's the same amount. But, why aren't we smart enough to use the system as it was meant to? Don't feel too bad about us not being smart enough to use the metric system. The British still use miles just like us. So, they have a complete mixed bag over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment