Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Of Computers and the Sky

Thanks for the comments gang. I look forward to reading them. With me being a "social butterfly" and alone over here, it helps me cope with not being able to talk to people I normally see all the time.

So, how about an update on my computer? Well, you don't really have much of a choice, do you? Tim here in the UK has set me up with a temporary laptop so I can continue to work. We then hooked the old drive up as an external USB drive and, after several attempts, we got the drive to spin up. I pulled off a bunch of data off the old drive including my pictures (::cheer::), some applications and the source code I'd been working on for the previous days. So, I'm back in business; sort of. The loaner laptop that Tim got me can't handle the load I'm putting on it. The applications I run tax the poor little thing in the extreme. It takes about 30 minutes for me to boot up, load the applications and be completely ready for coding in the morning. It does *not* like Eclipse :). Thankfully, the guys back at the home office are loading a new drive for my laptop. So, I'll only have to torture this poor little machine for another week tops.

I saw a beautiful sky yesterday. It was straight out of a painting. Clouds in half the sky, pure blue in the other. The sun was just behind the clouds and you could see the rays of sunlight trying to pry themselves around the cloud cover. I wish I had my camera with me, not that a picture would have done it justice...sorry. this paragraph was from my inner candle-sniffer (inside joke for some).

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dude,

    I have been reading your blog on your trip and had to sign up with Google to reply to you. . .ok I know I a little slow with getting that done, but at last I am a memeber and can reply. Hurray!!!

    Ok enough of that, I am very jealous as it sounds like you are getting to see lots of cool shit and other than the problem with your labtop. .. doesn't seem like you're working too hard. Great job!

    Nothing much new over here, I meat with John B. last week for drinks and it was fun catching up on all of his tails of flying. Suppose to meet with Wilma and perhaps Kathi for Happy Hour this Friday. . should be fun.

    I'll can't wait to see you pics of stonehenge and Dover. . . .
    -Happy Couple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Son,
    Sorry you had such a time at Bath, it is a place that is very popular but worth the time. There had to have been something going on to have that much trouble with the traffic. Well it is something you can think about doing again if you get a chance. The Castle sounded wonderful and exciting. I never got to see it.
    Just remember all the gift shops are there and if you buy you have to pack and travel with it. You might want to think about a little trinket for Matt if you get a chance, he would cherish it as you know.
    I hope Paris is as exciting and eventful as your other jaunts.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, been reading your blog messages every other day or so, when I can break away from the work/school routine. Sounds like you're having a fun time. Cold, but a fun time. Stuff around here is pretty much the same around the Escondido area. Pat hasn't burned down your place. Well, nothing visable from the outside at least.

    You're actually getting to work at 8:00am local time? Wow... something in the world must be out of kilter for that to happen more than just once in a month. =)

    ReplyDelete